Birth Positions. Articles, Books, Videos, Research and Blogs
RECOMMENDED ARTICLES & RESEARCH
- De Jonge A, van Diem M, Scheepers P, van der Pal-de Bruin K, Lagro-Janssen A (2007)Increased blood loss in upright birthing positions originates from perineal damage.BJOG;114: 349–355
- Di Franco, J,T, Romano, A,M, Keen, R (2007)Care Practice #5: Spontaneous Pushing in Upright or Gravity-Neutral Positions.Journal of Perinatal Education, Vol 16(3), pp 35–38, doi: 10.1624/105812407X217138
- Gupta JK, Hofmeyr GJ, Smyth R. (2012)Position in the second stage of labour for women without epidural anaesthesia.The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews; May 16,5: CD002006. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD002006.pub3
- Gizzo S, Di Gangi S, Noventa M, Bacile V, Zambon A, Nardelli GB. (2014)Women's choice of positions during labour: return to the past or a modern way to give birth? A cohort study in Italy.Biomed Research International
- Keen R, DiFranco J, Amis D, Albers L (2004)Position Statement #5Non supine (e.g. upright or side lying positions for birth.Journal of Perinatal Education. Vol 13(2) pp 30 -34
- Lavender T and Mlay R. (2006)Position in the second stage of labour for women without epidural anaesthesia: RHL commentary.The WHO Reproductive Health Library; Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Lawrence A, Lewis L, Hofmeyr GJ, Styles C.(2013)Maternal positions and mobility during first stage labour.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, Issue 10. Art. No.: CD003934. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003934.pub4.
- Nasir A, Noorani K.J, and Korejo R (2007)Childbirth in squatting position.Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre, Karachi.
- Priddis H,Dahlen H,Schmied V(2012)What are the facilitators, inhibitors, and implications of birth positioning? A review of the literature.Women Birth.Vol25(3):100-6
- Read JA, Miller FC, Paul RH (1981)Randomized trial of ambulation versus oxytocin for labour enhancement: a preliminary report. American Jnl Obstetrics & Gynaecology. Mar 15;139(6)669-72
- Reitter A, Daviss B-A, Bisits A, et al. (2014)Does pregnancy and/or shifting positions create more room in a woman’s pelvis?Am J Obstet Gynecol 211: 662. e1-9.
- Shermer, R. H. and Raines, D. A. (1997),Positioning During the Second Stage of Labor: Moving Back to Basics. Journal of Obstetric, Gynaecologic, & Neonatal Nursing, 26:727–734. doi:10.1111/j.1552-6909.1997.tb02748.x
- Terry RR, Wescott J,O’Shea L, Kelly,F (2006)Postpartum outcomes in supine delivery by physicians v non supine delivery by midwives. J am Osteopath Association. Vol 106 (4) pp199-202
- Calais-Germain, B and Pares, NV (2009)Preparing for a Gentle Birth – The Pelvis in Pregnancy.Healing Arts Press
- Donna, S (2010)Optimal Birth – what, why and how A Reflective, Narrative Approach Based on Research Evidence (3rd ed)Fresh Heart Publishing
- Jowitt, M (2014)Dynamic Positions in Birth: A fresh look at how women's bodies work in labour.Pinter & Martin
- Reuwer, P, Bruinse, H, and Franx, A (2009)Proactive Support of Labor - The Challenge of Normal Childbirth.Cambridge University Press
- Simkin, P and Ancheta, R (2011)Labor Progress Handbook (3rd ed).Wiley Blackwell
- INFORMATION LEAFLETS / GUIDELINES / REPORTSBirthsparks Ltd. Independent Survey on Giving Birth & Birth Positions
- Royal College of Midwives (RCM) Evidence Based Guidelines for Midwifery Led Care in Labour –Positions for Labour & Birth
- National Childbirth Trust (NCT) Helping your baby into the best positions
- The Pelvic Guru Theultimatepelvic anatomy resource
- Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Women’s Health FIT FOR BIRTH Information for Pregnant Women
- OASIS -ObstetricAnalSphincter Injuries Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG) Third and Fourth degree Perineal Tears, Management (Green-top Guideline No. 29)
- Having a Baby in Scotland 2013.Women’s Experiences of Maternity Care. NHS Scotland (2014)
- STAND & DELIVER
- Upright Birth in Hospitals
- SCIENCE & SENSIBILITY
- Are upright positions harmful?
- WELL-ROUNDED MAMA
- Healthy Birth Practices - Get upright
- Healthy Birth Practices - Walk, Move and Change Position
- Historical and Traditional Birthing
- EVIDENCE BASED BIRTH
- What is the Evidence for Pushing Positions? by Rebecca Dekker (October 2012)
- LAMAZE INTERNATIONAL
- Pros and Cons of 11 Common Labor Positions by Paulina G. Perez